Friday 8 March 2013

week5

Week 5, oh what a week. As we quickly approach the ever hectic week 7 the pressure rises to establish clear guidelines for the assignments due and how to tackle them. Continuous converstations to establish the paths I want to take and how I will succeed in getting there is my general approach. One of my units has a very airiy-fairy feel and getting the tutor to nail down what is "right" and "wrong", is as easy as catching smoke with your hands.
Unfortunately it seams that while our tutor encourages conversation, honest opinions about the University of Canberra are not welcome. I did not think what I said was in anyway offensive to my tutor or even the unit I was in, but when asking follow up questions after the tutorial I received the cold shoulder and a quick dismissal. While this would might have insighted a devious plan involving melted chocolate, mushy bananan and a robot. I have chosen the path less traveled by, it's yet to make all the difference.

Reflecting on the idea of 'Sharing and Presenting Information' I looked back on my own schooling and the many different ways which I was presented with inform. The main methods I recall are as follows; Lecture, Whole Group Discussion, Small Group Discussion, Demonstration, Role Play, Simulation, Exploration, Individual Work & Group Work.

The concept of peer-demonstration appered regularly in my Physical Education classes. Teachers would have prior knowledge of students back ground and sporting abilities, utilising these to optimise the learning experience. Ensuring that the demonstration would be the most beneficial to the students leaning process. This however needs to be monitored to take into consideration that no matter how good as student is at an action, they just might not want to demonstraite. Another point to concider is if the same student is demonstraighting all the time, this could cause jealousy and resentment within the class.

Peer learning as a whole, demonstraited or otherwise, proves to strengthens relationship between students and establishes a scense of community connection. This kind of support network can prove invaluble throughout schooling and in latter life.

"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Weard

No comments:

Post a Comment