Saturday 16 February 2013

SMART Goals, Big Doubts.


Week Two.
So after skipping week one I admit to feeling a little nervous about attending the lecture and lab. Despite these reservations I made sure I was in the lecture theatre early, which was a great idea until this tall guy sat in front of me, thanks jerk.
So leaning ever so obviously to one side I engaged in the lecture and was interested in the concepts being discussed and the use of IT! This Keith guy proved that just because people are a certain age (young or old) doesn't mean you can pigeon hole their technical knowledge and skills. The only problem was not being able to write as fast as he was flicking through the slides, which never seamed to pause on what I needed but always on what I didn't.
Covering the goals, I was reminded of the S.M.A.R.T goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timed) and how useful and encouraging making both long and short term goals can be, when made SMART.
As a result I reevaluated some of my own goals;
1) Go Skydiving. Well, I have paid for a jump already! So halfway there.
2)Travel More. No money and The University of Canberra have messed this one up for the near future.
3)World Domination. This is advancing very nicely.
4)Dominate Uni. Behind in readings already, this one is a need to do!
5)......


I came away from the lecture in a much better mood, but still hesitant. Was this just going to be ANOTHER shit coaching class which made no real effort to link the discussions to the teaching cohort which was present. Would this be another case of "oh yeah you can totally use video analysis on year sevens" BULLSHIT. And would the nationally specific guidelines of PE teachers having to cover dance and gymnastics FINALLY be covered.
Well it's only Week two, so we shall see.

Entering the Lab I was initially totally confused by the concept of blogging in this class. Yes I've blogged before, yes I understood blogging and what it normally was accompanied by but no I didn't understand the links to the class. Ohh an e-portfolio, a concept covered in 'Education Foundations' and 'Learning With Technology'. The concept bought out something frightening, no paper CV's in the future, bosses following your virtual footprint and a range of other ideas. Who's to say what will happen, all I know is that I can blog and I can reflect, so hopefully I'll pass. :)

1 comment:

  1. Nichola

    Thanks for your refreshing honesty. I apologise for the speed of my talk ... all the slides and my audio commentary are on SlideShare. I am keen to support your blogging. This is a very interesting start.

    You have a very distinctive view of the world and I am looking forward to learning more about your thoughts and reflections.

    I like the goals.

    Keith

    ReplyDelete